Re: RMAN backup to disk and then later copy to tape

  • From: dave <david.best@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-db-l <oracle-db-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:01:12 -0400

I have backed up to disk and let OS backups capture the files.. I've
used this process for the past 6 years with no issues.   I guess it
depends how your site has tape backups setup.. We were not allowed to
backup directly to tape for various reasons (some valid) and I have
never had any issues recovering.

I keep 2 days of backups on disk and a few days of archives in case
one of the nightly OS backups fails.   You need to review the OS
backup timings quarterly to make sure everything is ok.

Since I can't backup to tape directly, i can't restore either.   If I
do need a backup I talk to operations, give them the date of the
backup I need and they restore it.    Then I perform my recovery.

Personally I also don't use a retention period or run crosscheck.   I
can see in large shops where you have hundreds of databases but I
guess mine have been more manageable (dozens..)

At previous companies i've backed up directly to tape as well.   I
personally don't have a preference either way... From a level of
effort, they are pretty much the same.

l8r