Re: RMAN backup to disk and then later copy to tape

  • From: Fuad Arshad <fuadar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-db-l <oracle-db-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 12:54:49 -0700 (PDT)

Whiel backup t odisk should not be a problem it all depends on how you set it
up.
If thisis Oracle 10 you can setup a flash recovery area to backup to disk and
do  a backup recovery area to backup the complete flash recovery area to tape.
if flash recovery area ia not parto f the solution.
How do you intend to restore the data is the question.
Are you planning to backup to disk using rman and then using filesystem backups
to backup to tape. If so remeber rman has no idea that the backup is  on tape
since MML operations were not involved. This can be troublesome when recovering
since you will have to manually figure out what tpae has the backup and then
restore it to a point where rman can recoverit.

A VTL can normally help in this scenario since while it makes rman think its
backing up to tape but the actual backup happens to disk with an automatic tape
 offload at a later point. Rman and the MML interact and talk to each other
thus making restores a breeze.