RMAN Backup Question

  • From: "Daiminger, Helmut" <HELMUT.DAIMINGER@xxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:45:34 +0100

Hi!

We recently did a restore of our production database to a different box.
But RMAN was using an older backup to do that.

The scenario was like this:

PRD Database:
- full db backup + archive logs taken from 20:00 - 23:00 on Wednesday
(Jan 19)
- full db backup + archive logs taken from 20:00 - 23:00 on Thursday
(Jan 20)

On Friday (Jan 21), we then did a "restore until time" to Thursday (Jan
20), 20:30 to a different box.

But RMAN was not using the backup from Thursday (Jan 20), but was using
the one from Wednesday and applying all the archived logs (which was
taking a long time).

The question is: why was RMAN not using the backup from Thursday? Is the
backup not consistent to the starting time at 20:00 (like it would be
with a consistent export)?

I can't find anything in Robert Freeman's book about that phenomenon.

This is 9.2 on HP-UX 11i.

Thanks,
Helmut