Re: RHEL 32 bit + Oracle SE One max memory?

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: william.muriithi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:35:28 -0800

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 12:03 PM, William Muriithi <
william.muriithi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The other problem is, if there is an exhaustion of lower memory, OOM killer
> will attempt to clear memory and once in a while, that will result to the
> database being the candidate.  That can result in data inconsistency and a
> rough night.  So why use a 32 bit kernel when the 64 bit kernel has long
> been so stable and reliable?  Seriously, I can not think of a single reason
> why it would be preferable to use a 32 bit RHEL5.  Unless you really have
> fun fighting unnecessary fires

This bit from Note 452000.1 may also be helpful:

*The Kernel is out of LowMem (32-bit architectures only)*

"LowFree" in /proc/meminfo is very low, but HighFree is much higher. OOM
killer will take action under that situation. *The specific workload may
benefit from being run on a 64-bit architectures *or other methods (See Note
452326.1<https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&id=452326.1>)
.

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com