Re: RE: Latest copy of Oracle Magazine ...

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 16:07:08 -0300

I'd have to agree with Dick, for low-cost databases I'd go with postgre.
There are some companies that provide enterprise level support for postgre
also.

About Oracle products quality, while it's true that many of Oracle's
products are plain bad (iAS, Financials, etc). The core of the database is
very good. Every piece of software, specially ones as complex as an RDBMS
needs  to be, has bugs, the point is how crippling they are. And keep in
mind that I'm talking about the CORE of the database, and not many of the
add ons like Multimedia, XML DB and the likes. It's true, paying 5K U$D for
a database that only acts as a RDBMS is a bit much...

So... perhaps with My SQL they can keep it simple, not overload it with
functionalities 90% of us never use and the 10% that do have problems or
misuse them.

Oh, and APEX rules ;-) (another example of a good product by Oracle).

cheers
Alan.-

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx