Re: RE: Data Guard vs Streams for a RAC database

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Michael Dinh <mdinh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 18:39:35 +0000

I am largely going on the Statement of Direction here which states that GG
is the strategic product which will receive enhancements (and perhaps
Streams functionality)  in the future. Streams continues to be supported
'for the forseeable future'. As 11.2 desupport is 5 years away (and we only
know that as the earliest possible desupport date for streams) I don't see
any reason to exclude a technology you've already paid for in favour of one
you haven't in the use case Sayed outlines. If I was doing app development
that might well be a different argument. New stuff absolutely, standard
replication the pre-acquisition arguments still apply (license sellers
suggestions not withstanding)

On 8 Dec 2010 18:16, "Michael Dinh" <mdinh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 That's funny because that was the information I was given when speaking
with Oracle sales, technical consulting, and streams product manager when
trying to implement CDC which is build on top of streams.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e16579/cdc.htm#i1028295

*Note:*

Oracle Change Data Capture will be de-supported in a future release of
Oracle Database and will be replaced with Oracle GoldenGate. Therefore,
Oracle strongly recommends that you use Oracle GoldenGate for new
applications.

For Oracle Database 11*g* Release 2 (11.2), Change Data Capture continues to
function as in earlier releases. If you are currently using Change Data
Capture, then you will be able to continue to do so for the foreseeable
future. However, Change Data Capture will not be further enhanced, and will
only be supported based on the current, documented functionality.

However, I didn't find the same Note for streams.

Does anyone have the inside scoop to share?

Michael Dinh

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY - This material is intended for the use of the
in...