Data Guard vs Streams for a RAC database

  • From: Syed Jaffar Hussain <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 16:29:57 +0300

Good day everyone,

We are in need of preparing a backup server for one of the business critical
RAC databases at our company. Since the DRC setup will take some
considerable time, application owner requested to maintain a backup database
server (active) for the database to be able to survive from any scary
incidents. Although my vote goes to Data guard configuration, we would like
to choose the best and a very light weight option to fulfill the
requirement. Any pros and cons or comparision between these two would be
highly appreciated.

--
Best Regards,

Syed Jaffar Hussain
Oracle Certified Master (10g)
http://www.oracle.com/technology/ocm/shussain.html
Co-author Oracle 11gR1/R2 RAC Handbook
http://www.packtpub.com/oracle-11g-r1-r2-real-application-clusters-handbook/book
Oracle ACE
http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=19297:4:4640302666204919::NO:4:P4_ID:186
OCP 8i,9i,10g & 11g DBA
RAC Certified Expert
Official Oracle RAC SIG Representative for Saudi Arabian region  (
http://www.oracleracsig.org/)
I blog at
http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/in/sjaffarhussain
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."