Re: RBS in SYSTEM Ts

  • From: "Daniel W. Fink" <Daniel.Fink@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 09:46:50 -0600

With a single RBS, all transactions must access the same segment, which
may cause significant waits, especially if you are using a small
blocksize. This applies regardless of where the segment lives.

The segment in system is used for recursive sql (space management,
changes to data dictionary, etc.). I've never tested this, but I could
see a serious problem when a transaction motivates some recursive DML
and it has to wait because it can't find an open slot in the transaction
table.

As for putting it in the system tablespace, segments are very dynamic
and a single 'out of control' transaction may cause it to consume *all*
the available free space in the tablespace. It's been way too many years
since I tried this, but IIRC there are some serious repurcussions if
this occurs.

Not only may the performance suffer, but a database outage is a
possibility as well.

Regards,
Daniel