Re: RAID 0 Vs Multiple files per tablespace spread across

  • From: "Allan Nelson" <anelson77388@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle.tutorials@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 13:36:18 -0500

This seems like a fairly bad setup whichever of these two alternatives you
take.  It is possible that the raid0 stripe would give you good performance
as there is the possibility of getting multiple spindles into a read request
and thus getting your data faster.  It assumes that the hot blocks are
striped evenly across the disks.  The raid0 stripe is more likely to fail
than a single disk and it will lose the whole database.  A three file layout
with one per disk would give you the potential to only need to recover one
file and with careful distribution of the hot blocks would give nearly the
same performance.

On the whole however, if you have a heavy I/O load then the 3 disks is the
problem regardless of how you configure them.

Allan