RE: RAC and ASM - Standard vs. Enterprise Edition install process ?

  • From: "Crisler, Jon" <Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guillermo Alan Bort" <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>, <gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:31:53 -0500

I am wondering what happens if you try to install SE on a server with
more CPU's than is allowed by SE.  As anybody knows that tries to figure
out licensing costs for Oracle, there is a difference in processor
sockets, processor cores, and cluster configs.  But does SE actually
enforce any CPU limits ? Will it just set the parameter "cpu_count" to 4
and not let it increase beyond that value ?

For EE, 1 core = 1 processor.
For SE, 1 socket = 1 processor  (so a single socket with a 4-core chip
is 1 processor)
For SE, 4 cpu sockets is the limit for a RAC cluster, which implies a 4
node max config.

I am just looking at Intel / AMD processors, and ignoring Sun Sparc for
now which is even more complex.    I think my servers are ok for now,
but we might have to remove CPU's to stay compliant with the license.

http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/databaselicensing.pdf