Re: Question on Oracle 11G RAC

  • From: "Paul McManus" <Paul.McManus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:23:24 -0000

My attempts at answering the questions - apologies for lack of expert knowledge
and terminiology

>Hi, Thanks for the hint.
>I have a couple of questions.
>In a normal 2 node RAC database environment, will the two instances be
>always active ?  I mean , will cache fusion takes place frequently , If my
>application and DMLs does not user parallelism  ?
>I am just thinking , when will the high speed interconnect becomes busy
>with data transfer

Oracle RAC is always ACTIVE/ACTIVE and so cache fusion will always be passing
blocks.across your interconnect if sessions across instances are accessing the
same blocks. I imagine this will occur in your OLTP and Read Only configuration
if everyone is accessing the same data and therefore you cannot get away from
interconnect traffic - how much depends on the data, application and user
activitiy

Application Partitioning where users access different data across instances and
so do not need to share the same blocks is a method of minimising the
interconnect traffic

Like another poster said the offloading of read only and reporting activity to
a Standby or a distributed database of some description sounds like what you
want to achieve rather than using RAC

>If I can create a service one each node and associate to instance , How
>does my client tnsnames.ora looks like ? I could not figure out this.

Depends how you configure the service - specifically if you let the service
failover to an available instance in the event your preferred instance goes
down.

For example see the following TNSNAMES examples from 11gR2 (hence SCAN is used
but this could be substitiured for the full list of nodes available in your
cluster and the same info applies)

TEST1 is service that runs on both instances

TEST2 is configured to run on instance1 as preferred and instance2 as
available. The TNSNAMES entry does not indicate any instances - that is
abstracted from the users

test1 =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = cluster-scan)(PORT = 1525))
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = test1)
    )
  )

test2 =
 (DESCRIPTION =
  (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = cluster-scan)(PORT = 1525))
  (LOAD_BALANCE = YES)
  (CONNECT_DATA =
   (SERVER = DEDICATED)
   (SERVICE_NAME = test2)
   (FAILOVER_MODE =
   (TYPE = SELECT)(METHOD = BASIC)(RETRIES = 180)(DELAY = 5)
   )
  )
 )

_DISCLAIMER:

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("the intended
recipient(s)") to whom it is addressed.

It may contain information which is privileged, proprietary and/or confidential
within the meaning of applicable law.

If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying
of this message (including any attachments) is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender of this
message as soon as possible.

The views or opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and may
not necessarily be the views held by Maxima Holdings plc.
Maxima Holdings plc. Cotswold Court, Lansdown Road, Cheltenham, Glos, GL50 2JA.
Registered in England. 5043538. VAT Number - 728778184