Re: Question on Oracle 11G RAC

  • From: Sreejith S Nair <Sreejith.Sreekantan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 19:12:45 +0530

Hi, Thanks for the hint.
I have a couple of questions.

In a normal 2 node RAC database environment, will the two instances be
always active ?  I mean , will cache fusion takes place frequently , If my
application and DMLs does not user parallelism  ?
I am just thinking , when will the high speed interconnect becomes busy
with data transfer

If I can create a service one each node and associate to instance , How
does my client tnsnames.ora looks like ? I could not figure out this.

Appreciate any help on this.

Kind Regards,
Sreejith Nair

From:   Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     Sreejith.Sreekantan@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc:     oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:   11/09/2010 06:57 PM
Subject:        Re: Question on Oracle 11G RAC

That approach would work, but in 11GR2 you can active dataguard with real
time apply, which allows you to have the standby open in read only while
the logs are being applied.  That seems to be what you really want.

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 2:24 AM, Sreejith S Nair <
Sreejith.Sreekantan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi friends,

I have got this question from customer regarding Oracle 11G R2 RAC.

The customer have stated a preference for configuring the Oracle RAC nodes
so that, in a two node system, the first node bears all the update load,
whereas the second RAC node would have connections that are read-only. The
two nodes would still operate as failovers for one another. The reason for
this , they stated was to reduce network traffic between the nodes to
coordinate transactions and locking. They have asked for this
configuration as 'one update node and one read-only node' / a primary
update node and a secondary read-only node .

We have thought about implementing this configuration for our two
applications as follows

Application features

Application 1 - which performs regular updates,heavy transactions,long
running reports et - schema 1
Application 2 - performs smalled updates and small reads. - schema 2

Application 1 can point to node 1 of this RAC and application 2 to node 2
( using node affinity ).When any of the node fails , the client
connections will fail over to surviving node.

I would like to get some recommendations on this approach from experts.

1) Do you think the above approach using node affinity is a good approach
, ie pinning one schema in one node with one database for a two
instance(node) RAC ?
2) Any documents / reference to configure this approach in RAC ?
3) Is there any other way to achieve the requirement put by the customer ?

4) If the above said nodes are in two data centres, Will it be a
recommended approach ? I think these two nodes should be in same data
centre.
5) If we configure Load balancing ( in normal RAC or in the setup
mentioned above) then that would take considerable network b/w ?

OS is RHEL 5.4 on 64 bit.

Please share your view on this.

Thanks ,
SSN

DISCLAIMER:

"The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for
the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original communication.
IBS makes no warranty, express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy,
adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any
attachment and is not liable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses
or for resultant loss or damage, if any, direct or indirect."

--
Andrew W. Kerber