Re: Question on 11gR2 RAC Cluster Time Synchronization Service (CTSS)

  • From: David Robillard <david.robillard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Li Li <litanli@xxxxxxxxx>, Martin Klier <usn@xxxxxxxxx>, "D'Hooge Freek" <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 07:30:52 -0400

Hello Li,

> We have been using ntpdate for time sync in a cron job in our 10gR2
> RAC, guess we'll still need to use it in 11gR2 RAC. I wonder why
> Oracle provides CTSS since we still need to sync time with a time
> server?

Instead of writing a cron job to use ntpdate, IMHO you should
configure ntp and bypass ctss completely. Configure it once on all
your hosts and voilà! all your troubles are over (well, one of them at
least :) Plus ntp is very easy to setup. If you need help on that or a
reliable time source, check http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/

HTH,

David
--