RE: Question on 11gR2 RAC Cluster Time Synchronization Service (CTSS)

  • From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Li Li <litanli@xxxxxxxxx>, Martin Klier <usn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 10:01:05 +0200

Li,

Why not use the ntp deamon instead of ntpdate with cron?

When using the "-x" option (on linux) you also don't have the risk that your
clock will be set back in time, which can cause node reboots (at least in 10g).
Below you find the configuration I use for ntp (on linux):

/etc/ntp.conf
-------------
# Prohibit general access to this service
restrict default ignore

# Permit all access over the loopback interface.
restrict 127.0.0.1

# --- OUR TIMESERVERS -----
# or remove the default restrict line
# Permit time synchronization with our time source, but do not
# permit the source to query or modify the service on this system.
server <ntp servername 1>
restrict <ntp server ip 1> mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
server <ntp servername 2>
restrict <ntp server ip 2> mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery

# Undisciplined Local Clock. This is a fake driver intended for backup
# and when no outside source of synchronized time is available.
server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

# Drift file. Put this in a directory which the daemon can write to.
# No symbolic links allowed, either, since the daemon updates the file
# by creating a temporary in the same directory and then rename()'ing
# it to the file.
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift

/etc/ntp/step-tickers
----------------------
<ntp server ip 1>
<ntp server ip 2>

/etc/sysconfig/ntpd
--------------------
# Drop root to id 'ntp:ntp' by default.
OPTIONS="-u ntp:ntp -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -x"

# Set to 'yes' to sync hw clock after successful ntpdate
SYNC_HWCLOCK=no

# Additional options for ntpdate
NTPDATE_OPTIONS=""

chkconfig --list ntpd
ntpd            0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator
email: freek.dhooge@xxxxxxxxx