Re: Question for Dataguard users

  • From: japplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 15:06:10 -0500

Robert,

We handle that via DNS aliases.  We never use the actual hostname in any
TNSNames.ora file or JDBC or other connect string.  We have our Sys Admins
add a DNS alias for every database on a server.  It's exactly the same as
the Service_Name for the database.  We may have several Service_Names per
actual database.  There is a DNS alias for each of those Service_Names on
the host server.  That allows us to start a new Vendor App as a schema in
an existing database (with its own Service_Name and host DNS alias) and
see if it comes to eventually need its own database.  If so, or we just
want to move the schema, we move the Service_Name and DNS alias to the new
DB and server and all connect strings continue to work.

The same thing works for Switchovers / Failovers to Standbys from
Primarys.  When we do a Switch / Failover, we just prep the DBs, have the
Sys Admins switch the DNS aliases.  Then all Clients can reconnect to the
new Primary.  No muss, no fuss.  Works great.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9250 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

From:   "Storey, Robert (DCSO)" <RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   07/27/2011 12:44 PM
Subject:        Question for Dataguard users
Sent by:        oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Okay, have a question for the dataguard users.  Probably more for the
non-RAC folks than anything.

My setup is a primary and a single physical standby.

In the event of a switchover, all user connections are broken and the
switch occurs.  Then users have to reconnect.

But, I’m looking for the best way to structure the TNSNAMES file.  I’m
probably over thinking this, but, there has to be a way to create both
entries for both servers in the file, but only have them use the
production one.  Something tickles my brain from way back that it will run
the TNS list in order looking for a connection.

Just curious how others have set up their files.

Thanks