RE: Question for Dataguard users

  • From: "Storey, Robert (DCSO)" <RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <japplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 15:20:01 -0500

Excellent approach.  Not sure if it will work for me since our department does
not have any control over out network.  We (the IT shop) have to work through
the city IT shop to get anything network wise done.  Still doable, just adds a
layer of futzing to the issue.

So what do you put in the HOST field of the tnsnames?  So, you have a database
on host ABC that has a database of DB01.  You create a DNS entry called DB01
that points to host ABC?  So, in the HOST field do of tnsnames  you would put
DB01?

Thanks

From:        "Storey, Robert (DCSO)" <RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        07/27/2011 12:44 PM
Subject:        Question for Dataguard users
Sent by:        oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

________________________________

Okay, have a question for the dataguard users.  Probably more for the non-RAC
folks than anything.

My setup is a primary and a single physical standby.

In the event of a switchover, all user connections are broken and the switch
occurs.  Then users have to reconnect.

But, I’m looking for the best way to structure the TNSNAMES file.  I’m probably
over thinking this, but, there has to be a way to create both entries for both
servers in the file, but only have them use the production one.  Something
tickles my brain from way back that it will run the TNS list in order looking
for a connection.

Just curious how others have set up their files.

Thanks