Re: Query performance question

  • From: Mike Schmitt <mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:03:00 -0600

There have been a number of good ideas on how to rewrite the query. I plan to test them out later to help me learn. My query writing ability is probably a 0 out of 10.

The only problem with rewriting the query is that this is suppose to represent a row based security implementation. For example,

User fred logs into the database and runs the query : select count(*) from fred.table_A

User fred's query will automatically be appended with the where clause without him knowing about it.

select count(*) from fred.table_a A
where A.col_1 in (select col_3 from fred.table_b B where B.col_4 = '662')
or A.col_2 in (select col_3 from fred.table_b B where  B.col_4 = '662')

At least that is the way we understood that Oracle Advance Security VPD would work. It might make more sense for me to look into how VPD is going to transform the query, and then work at tuning that.

Thanks