QqRE: RMAN Recovery without Catalog

  • From: "Ruth Gramolini" <rgramolini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:16:18 -0400

As OWS, said, the  recovery catalog is going to become obsolete.  The caveat
is that it is not yet.  I found that it is still much better to use a
catalog rather than depend on the controlfiles.  The bleeding edge is not
always comfortable.  There are some things that become nearly impossible to
do with out a catalog.  One thing is that the controlfile doesnt' do an auto
controlfile backup of the controlfile at the end of a backup, therefore it
only knows about the backupsets from previous backups.  I don't know if this
speaks to your questions, but I know that after having to manually and
painfully recover a couple of times I switched back to using a recovery
catalog.  Then you can duplicated a database to another server with ease.

Regards,
Ruth