QqRE: RMAN Recovery without Catalog

  • From: "Ron Rogers" <RROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:44:28 -0400

I have a question about what gets backed up and where when you do not
use the cotalog.
Currently I use a catalog and perform a level0 each Sunday nite and I
can justify the datafiles and size of the backup. If I perform a level1
on Monday nite the size of the backup is small justifiably.
If I use the controlfile option for a level0 what would be the size of
the backup data? Would it contain all datafiles? If it perform a level1
with the controlfile does it still backup all the datafiles? Does using
the controlfile not backup any datafiles and you have to back them up
seperately?

Off to purchase Roberts RMAN book to get some answers and shake up the
grey, gray matter.
Ron

>>> rgramolini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 04/16/2004 1:16:18 PM >>>
As OWS, said, the  recovery catalog is going to become obsolete.  The
caveat
is that it is not yet.  I found that it is still much better to use a
catalog rather than depend on the controlfiles.  The bleeding edge is
not
always comfortable.  There are some things that become nearly
impossible to
do with out a catalog.  One thing is that the controlfile doesnt' do an
auto
controlfile backup of the controlfile at the end of a backup, therefore
it
only knows about the backupsets from previous backups.  I don't know if
this
speaks to your questions, but I know that after having to manually and
painfully recover a couple of times I switched back to using a
recovery
catalog.  Then you can duplicated a database to another server with
ease.

Regards,
Ruth