"Practicing" Oracle performance tuning ...

  • From: Ramesh Geecee <rameshgeecee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 13:40:24 +0530

Hi Listers,
I am newbie to the DBA / Performance tuning world and was wondering if there
were some environments available to "practice" performance tuning in
realistic situations.  I have been a PL/SQL developer for a while and know a
little bit about pro-active performance tuning during development.  But
again the kinds of problems faced on "Real" systems as opposed to "Dev"
boxes are very different, I guess - I never had access to a Production side
of things.

Some of the questions that I have are:
1. Where does one get started with performance tuning?
2. Various tuning exercises need to be tried on boxes other than Production
first - so how does one make the test box similar to what the production
has?
3. What sets of built-in tools are generally useful in real life situations?
4. What about any commercial utilities?

I would really appreciate responses to this request of mine.

Regards,
Ramesh.