Re: Physical Memory Fully Used and Swap is Not Used

  • From: Tanel Poder <tanel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: moovarkku.mudhalvan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 01:00:38 +0300

RDA is not reporting you the full picture. Run vmstat or free instead and
see how big are the CACHED and BUFFERS field and whether there are lots &
constant page ins/outs happening.

[oracle@linux03 ~]$ vmstat 1
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- --system--
-----cpu------
 r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in   cs us sy id
wa st
 0  0 335728  20600  *82024 557940    *1    2    17    39   58   42  1  1
98  0  0
 0  0 335728  20600  *82024 557940    *0    0     0     0 1003  187  0  1
100  0  0

In the above the free memory seems low ( I have 1GB of memory in my VM) but
the buffers & page cache figures are big and in a database server most of
pages there normally are not dirty so can be replaced & reused easily when a
process needs some physical memory.

So, on Linux you need to see how big are the buff & cache fields and whether
theres constant paging activity going on (the si / so columns) in order to
determine whether there's memory shortage or not. The "free" figure itself
doesn't tell the full story.

--
Tanel Poder
http://blog.tanelpoder.com