Re: Physical Memory Fully Used and Swap is Not Used

  • From: Tanel Poder <tanel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mark.teehan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 01:23:53 +0300

Yeah, these are the /proc/sys/vm/swappiness and /proc/sys/vm/overcommit*
parameters.

I think in a regular database server the swappiness should be 0 as
background file maintenance operations (like backups, tar, gzip, find)
should not be able to page out Oracle's server processes.

And allowing virtual memory overcommit is even a bigger joke ( having
/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory as 0 or 1 ). This allows Linux to commit more
address space to process than there's swap+RAM available. Thus when the
processes actually start touching the pages and really reserving them from
swap/RAM then they can just die in the page fault code. Or even worse - the
out of memory killer (OOM killer) will just pick a "random" process and kill
it to free up some memory!

The overcommit_memory parameter should be 2 in a database server, along
sufficient swap space to back the memory allocations.

--
Tanel Poder
http://blog.tanelpoder.com

Tanel Poder