Performance forecasting

  • From: "Goulet, Dick" <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:13:38 -0400

        First off I've lost whoever is the list owner these days, old
age catching up with me.  But I'm going to go out on a limb here.  Yes
this does have an Oracle twist to it.

        For those of you lucky enough to go to Open World, doesn't
include me, take a moment to stop by the BEZ booth in the vendor hall.
Now I don't work for them, heck I don't even get a free trip to Open
World from them.  Anyway, they have a product called BezProphet that has
been popular(their words) in the TerraData space for some time now and
their branching out into Oracle and DB2.  Now I'll leave 99% of the
sales pitch for them, we're currently beta testing their V1.0 release of
the Oracle prediction engine and it ain't bad.  They are not into the
normal monitoring type of task, due to their architecture their at least
1 hour behind your database.  Their forte, which from the beta is 90%
accurate, is forecasting when things will become problems 1, 2, 6, 12,
24 months into the future.  They can also take changes in your server or
disk system and make a forecast of what will happen & track the actual
to the forecast.  They can even merge say a play environment for a new
application or module into an existing production database & predict how
everything will behave.  Like I said it appears to be 90% accurate & the
graphs are so pretty for the upper damagement types to.

        So I'll pass along something that we've been playing with that
may make some of you happier.  New toys are always nice.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified DBA