RE: Insert Rate/Second

  • From: mkb <mkb125@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:59:55 -0700 (PDT)

--- mkb <mkb125@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --- Bruce McCartney
> <bruce.mccartney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi Mohammed,
> >
> > If you want an accurate reading by table you can
> use
> > dba_tab_modifications;
> > something like this, I used SYSTEM so had to grant
> > access:
> >
> > grant all on SYS.DBA_TAB_MODIFICATIONS to system
> > with grant option;
> >
> >-----------8<-------------
>
> Hi Bruce,

more snippage.....
--------------8<--------------------
> I tried it on a small test table by inserting about
> 7k
> records.  Running the script, gives a result of
> about
> 230 inserts a second which doesn't seem right.  It
> should about 7k rows/second as shown below:
>
> 18:15:23 SQL> /
>
> 7874 rows created.
>
> 18:15:24 SQL> commit;
>
> Maybe I should remove the conversion-to-seconds
> factor
> in the above SQL?  But if I do, I would get insert
> rates in the millions/second.  Now that don't seem
> right either.

No...wait, Bruce's script and idea is accurate if you
also include the conversion-to-seconds factor, it was
me who screwed up.  When the script runs, it issues a
dbms_lock.sleep(30).  If you multiply the INS_RATE by
30, you'll get a figure close to 7k rows/sec.

In fact, changing sleep(30) to sleep(1) also gives a
value close 7k rows/sec.  Getting rid of it
altogether, also works.

So what was the idea behind the sleep?

Thanks again.

--