Partitioning Question (2 of several)

  • From: david wendelken <davewendelken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:44:53 -0800 (PST)

I'm working on an application that can easily be partitioned on one column that
exists in most tables in the application.

I know that I may need to load - then truncate and reload - any given new
partition.

I need to make sure that the user impact on other partitions is minimal or
non-existent.
(The application will control access to the partitions, so the users won't be
able to mess with a partition that is inoperative.)

It appears that local indexes would be a better fit than global ones in order
to meet these design requirements.

Do you agree, and if not, why not?

Secondly, there are some reference tables that are not partitioned, and the
partitioned tables will have foreign key constraints (with the corresponding
indexes) to them.  Does that mess up what I am trying to accomplish?