Partitioning Question (1 of several)

  • From: david wendelken <davewendelken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:35:43 -0800 (PST)

"Partition pruning dramatically reduces the amount of data retrieved from disk
and shortens the use of processing time, improving query performance and
resource utilization. If you partition the index and table on different columns
(with a global, partitioned index), partition pruning also eliminates index
partitions even when the partitions of the underlying table cannot be
eliminated."

I not positive I understand the second sentence.  Could someone give an example?