PARALLEL_MAX_SERVERS value

  • From: LS Cheng <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 10:22:43 +0200

Hi
I have a developer who is keen reading documentation and then uses it to
debate.

So in 11gR2 documentation,
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25513/initparams183.htm#i1132010,
states that PARALLEL_MAX_SERVERS should be so high that seems unreasonable
to me, in fact in the past I had to reduce PARALLEL_MAX_SERVERS to avoid RAC
evictions and overloaded servers

The funny thing is that no where in oracle documentation states a
recommended values (for both OLTP and DWH) except this URL, anyone know if
there are any MOS note or OTN WP which state some decent recommended value
for this parameter?

There is a MOS note which states recommended value for DWH  is 10xcpu_count,
too many IMHO.

Thanks

--
LSC