Re: Oracle's ASSM

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:15:40 +0100

small correction and small expansion - doesn't invalidate kevin's general
point at all.
On 9/13/05, oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> ASM is mandatory for only 1 product, Standard Edition One(SE1) The
> SE1 product
> is limited to a total of 4 processors CLUSTERWIDE.

Not strictly correct, though given polyserve's market an understandable
error. ASM is mandatory for RAC on either Standard Edition or Standard
Edition 1. It's Standard Edition that has the 4 processor limit, SEOne which
was originally going to be for single CPU boxes - hence the name - has a
limit of 2 processors. 1=2 returns true in this case. In addition you have
to be talking about 10g. RAC is only available as an added cost option for
9i Enterprise Edition (unless you have a site license - but then according
to Oracle those don't exist).

Oh and to add confusion to the mix you can only license SE on machines that
have a capacity of 4 processors clusterwide - even if they only have 4
installed on an 8 proc box it has to be EE (or more likely a compelling
cheaper alternative RDBMS that won't bill you for imaginary hardware.)

Are you really sure you need RAC to properly respond to server