RE: Oracle's ASSM

  • To: <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:55:35 -0400

Kevin,

        Yes TAF only works for selects, which is 75% of the database
activity on the manufacturing floor(robot cells) and no their not smart
enough to reconnect never mind resubmit.  They currently stop on error
which then causes a "line down" and a lot of damanagement attention.
LONGGGGGG story on why the application is not smart enough to handle
errors, mostly it's a political thing.  Namely the developers should not
have to handle errors because errors should not occur and if they do
it's a database issue & the DBA needs to fix it & do something to make
sure it does not happen again.  Believe it or not that was promogulated
by someone, no longer here, suggesting that they use Access as the
database of choice!!