RE: Oracle to acquire Sun

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <mathias.magnusson@xxxxxxxxx>, <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <ssibert@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:32:49 -0400

Well, check this out for a new approach to servers:

http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/22504/page1/
<http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/22504/page1/>

I've a funny feeling it may be a niche machine at best.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
PAREXEL International

________________________________

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mathias Magnusson

Why would it not be the Niagara line of processors? T2 runs databases
like a dream and Oracle gives a very nice discount on the cores you have
to license. In many cases that makes for a fantastic ROI on an extremely
potent database server. It is also where SUN put a lot of R/D dollars
over the last few years. T3 or whatever they'll name the next processor
on the same technology ought to further advance the threads and cores
and make it even more fascinating as a computing platform for Oracle.

attachments hereto. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do
not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions,
conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to
the official business of this company shall be understood as neither
given nor endorsed by it.