RE: Oracle to acquire Sun

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ssibert@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:55:38 -0400

Don't forget that Sun ships a lot of x86-64 boxes - I wouldn't be surprised if
SPARC gets sold off to Fujitsu, who already does the manufacturing and a lot of
the chip development.  Then Oracle/Sun can just OEM fujitsu boxes for legacy
customers, while migrating them over time to Solaris or Linux on x86.

I feel very confident this will result in solaris x86 becoming a tier 1
platform for Oracle, though.

Thanks,
Matt

--