RE: Oracle on Windows 2000 AS with /3GB flag

  • From: "Ted Coyle" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <saints.richard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 10:58:34 -0400

Win64 does not support /3GB switch.  It isn't need in 64-bit environment.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294418/

Copied from support note:
System PTEs

A pool of system Page Table Entries (PTEs) that is used to map system pages
such as I/O space, Kernel stacks, and memory descriptor lists. 64-bit
programs use a 16-terabyte tuning model (8 terabytes User and 8 terabytes
Kernel). 32-bit programs still use the 4-GB tuning model (2 GB User and 2 GB
Kernel). This means that 32-bit processes that run on 64-bit versions of
Windows run in a 4-GB tuning model (2 GB User and 2GB Kernel). 64-bit
versions of Windows do not support the use of the /3GB switch in the boot
options. Theoretically, a 64-bit pointer could address up to 16 exabytes.
64-bit versions of Windows have currently implemented up to 16 terabytes of
address space.

  _____