Re: Oracle RAC on VM

  • From: przemolicc@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: kevin.lidh@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 10:01:24 +0200

Pro VM:- snapshots before any patching, upgrade - very, very handy feature :-)-
performance: we migrated some Oracle-s (EBS) to Vmware and nobody is
complaining (it is not very loaded though ...)RegardsP.Od: "Kevin Lidh"
<kevin.lidh@xxxxxxxxx>Do: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Wysłane: 0:16 Piątek
2014-08-22Temat: Oracle RAC on VMAs a DBA, I never wanted to work on Oracle on
VMware but it seems to be the trend.  Now that I’m a manager, I’m looking
to propose moving to RAC for HA and also back to physical machines.  Since
this goes against the strategic direction of our organization, I’m sure I’ll be
asked why we can’t do RAC on VMs.  I have my personal opinions about this
but I was wondering what the broader audience of experts believe. Factors
I’m considering are:1)      Servers closer to the
storage for performance.  In virtualization, you have an intermediary
processing your requests and responses.2)      Access
to all resources licensed.  We keep a certain percentage of our hosts free
to handle the load in case one in the cluster fails.  With RAC, you have
access to all the resources all the time.  And since you have to pay for
it all anyway, I see that as a good thing.3)
Performance in general.  I don’t have any evidence but I can’t believe
that another layer between my OS calls and the hardware could be as fast as not
having that layer. Thanks in advance, Kevin