Re: Oracle Enterprise Linux and Linux Standard Base (LSB)

  • From: Ray Stell <stellr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 12:03:09 -0400

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 06:18:01PM -0700, Jared Still wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Tim Hall <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Frtis:
> >
> > I agree entirely. If some of the press actually took stock of the volume of
> > code Oracle has released into the Linux kernel perhaps they would stop
> > bitching for a few seconds to say thanks.
>

> If the press wants to see some kind of documentation of what was done,
> and some type of benchmark showing the improvements, I would have
> to agree with them.

I'm concerned about the future of RHEL support.  I lived through the
ups and downs or solaris "support."  It was painful.  They claimed to
support it and it was was not pretty.  I dumped solaris years ago
because of this.  I've been wondering since Larry began rattling the linux
sabber if I would be forced into the Oracle OS offerings for santiy sake.
I'll go if I have to even though the cost will be painful, but I just want
to know if I have to and not have to find out the hard way.  Is this
concern baseless in your opinion?