Re: Oracle Apple releases

  • From: Matthew Zito <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:44:35 -0400

It's actually out and available now - 10.1.0.3 "early adopter release"
or some such nonsense.  There are three installers, one for the
database, one for client, and a "companion CD" - I haven't figured out
what that is yet.

It offers enterprise and standard edition as options, and it seems like
most of the normal 10g options are available, including ASM.  This is
in pleasant contrast to the 9i OS X release, which didn't have a real
installer and was only standard edition.

Today is the rare day lately I get to do hard tech stuff, so I took
some time to try to install it on my mac laptop - followed all the
steps, but it failed during linking.  I've got the appropriate version
of gcc, though its a different build than listed by Oracle, because
they technically require OS X Server.  I'm downloading the updated
development tools overnight (600 megs - ugh) and I'll see if it links
then.  So far, it looks a lot more like a real Oracle installer,
especially compared with the 9i developer release.

If I get it up and running, I'll put together a little doc on getting
it running and what seems to work.

Thanks,
Matt

--