Re: Oracle 9.2 Standard Edition - Standby switchover issues

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lucdemanche@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 07:48:49 -0700

We are using roll-your-own standby with SE just as you with copying the archivelogs to the standby server and applying them as you describe. It never occurred to me to try to use the "alter database commit to switchover ..." command because I thought (possibly mistakenly) that that requires dataguard which is not available with SE.

In order to bring up the standby database we use:

Alter database activate standby database;
Alter database open;

Without dataguard, there is no real ("enforced") primary and standby database, well, standby there is since it is mounted as standby database. You can activate and open the standby database while the primary is running. Of course, once you done that you can't put the Genie back into the bottle, i.e. mount the database again as a standby database. You'll have to rebuild the standby database

Luc Demanche wrote:
Hi,
Oracle 9.2.0.6 <http://9.2.0.6> Standard Edition
I have issues when I want to switch between my standby and primary database.
I got this error
ARCH: Archiving not possible: No standby destinations
ARCH: Failed to archive log 1 thread 1 sequence 61
ORA-16014 signalled during: alter database commit to switchover to standby wi
We are running the Standard Edition so I can't use "log_archive_dest_n ...."
I copy my archive log file with a script and apply them using "recover automatic standby database".

-- Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation
www.centrexcc.com