RE: Oracle 11g CRS, RAC and ASM on Solaris

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "richard.goulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <richard.goulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Best, David" <David.Best@xxxxxxxxxx>, "duncan.lawie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <duncan.lawie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:59:00 -0400

That would be difficult, since there was no ASM in 9i.....

I think point number two should have been:
2.)  Raw is required with RAC, you don't have a choice.

That's a requirement that used to be true, and went all the way back to the
early days of OPS, well before RAC.

I'm not sure if it's still a requirement.  ASM is an option, starting w/ 10g,
but you'll still need some shared raw storage for ASM to manage.

As to CFSes, I'm not sure what's available/supported on what platform, as far
as RAC is concerned.  I thought Veritas offered a clustered VxFS that would
work w/ RAC, but, don't quote me on that.

We've always been a raw device shop, even for all our single instance
databases, so, it was never an issue here.

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies

ProQuest...Start here.