Re: ORA-12549: TNS:operating system resource quota exceeded

  • From: Tony van Lingen <tony_vanlingen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mathias Magnusson <mathias.magnusson@xxxxxxxxx>, Oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, nileshkum@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:37:03 +1000

From the error description my first thought was that this error is on a client and might have come from the db server, via TNS. I think there could be an error stack in the alert file of the database, but I don't believe that the TNS client would display more than the single TNS error. I may be wrong though. There may also be more info in $ORACLE_HOME/net/log/listener.log on the server and sqlnet.log (somewhere) on the client.

We put our Solaris 10 kernel variables still in /etc/system. For what it's worth, this is an example of settings set for one of our oracle 10R2 instances on Solaris 10:

* Kernel settings for Oracle
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=1024
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=1024
*
set semsys:seminfo_semmap=1026
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=1024
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=16384
set semsys:seminfo_semmnu=2048
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=300
set semsys:seminfo_semopm=200
set semsys:seminfo_semume=256
set semsys:seminfo_semvmx=32767
*
set msgsys:msginfo_msgmap=512
set msgsys:msginfo_msgmax=8192
set msgsys:msginfo_msgmnb=65536
set msgsys:msginfo_msgmni=256
set msgsys:msginfo_msgssz=16
set msgsys:msginfo_msgtql=512
set msgsys:msginfo_msgseg=8192
*
set noexec_user_stack=1
*
* end snippet

Cheers,
Tony

Mathias Magnusson wrote:
I believe Solaris now has these settings in project and processes.

Still should there not be another message that goes along with this one to explain more about the details? I would think this is one of those that is just the top of the error stack and we ned more to understand the real reason.

There could also be a hint about it in the massages file in Solaris (/var/admmessages I think) if it really is an OS issue. More than likely it is not there either as it is probably not considered an Os isue by Solaris, just an application resource use issue.

Mathias

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 3:12 AM, Tony van Lingen <tony_vanlingen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:tony_vanlingen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Perhaps the system settings (e.g. out of shared memory or
    semaphores)? They are in /etc/system. The minimum values should be
    in the Oracle 10g readmes or else in the platform specific
    installation instructions.

    Cheers,
    Tony

    nilesh kumar wrote:

    Hello DBA's

    Good Evening!!

    Hope every one is doing great!!

    Its 10g on solaris.

    We are getting this error when the Application team try to
    process data through ETL. But I did not find any errors related
    to this in the alert log.
    Has any one also faced this type. Is there any solution to
    resolve this issue.

    DPSTN_LTGTN,0: connect failed for  env: null, user: , password: *****
    Oracle error: -12549
    ORA-12549: TNS:operating system resource quota exceeded

    Is this an error related to the OS issue.? or can we resolve this
    by resizing the memory? Please advise. Your help will be highly
    appreciated.

    Thanks
    Nilesh