RE: ** ORA-06502

  • From: A Joshi <ajoshi977@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:04:09 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Thomas, Jared for the response.

  The issue was that I had defined a variable in sqlplus as

  sqlplus> var v_f_name varchar2

  then run the SP using exec by passing this v_f_name  to the SP. I have used
this type of definition for refcur too and it worked fine. Later I created a
pl/sql block and defined it as v_f_name varchar2(50) and all was fine.

  I will stick to pl/sql block unless I get details about missed with var
definition. It is strange that it defines it as varchar2(1). And refcur works
fine.  Thanks

"Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      Joshi,

  What is the size of the receiving parameter and how much data are you storing
into it?

for example:

  In your calling procedure, you declared something like:

  calling_str varchar2(1);

  begin
  procedure f_name_for_empid( 1,calling_str);
  end;

If the f_name_for_empid procedure passes back anything larger than varchar2(1),
then you get the 6502 error.  If you increase the size of the declaration of
calling_str to varchar2(100) (or some other reasonable value) then the error
would probably go away.

Tom