RE: OEM justification -oem Poll

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>, <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 14:09:50 -0700

Just to clarify - the "generation of alerts" is free as it says in the
note below from the following link:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/em.102/b31949/manageme
nt_pack_access.htm#CHDHEAIC

"Generation of alerts (via Enterprise Manager or directly by the server
in Oracle 10g) is not part of this pack; it is free with the database."

The above link also states that the Diagnostics Pack is required for
"Advanced Alert Management", which is defined as follows:

"Includes notification methods, rules, and schedules, metric history and
associated drill-downs, ability to set blackouts, associate corrective
actions with an alert, user-defined metrics, monitoring templates,
adaptive metric thresholds, setting metric baselines, and Memory Access
Mode."

My understanding is that this means you get the alerts in the
DBA_OUTSTANDING_ALERTS view and in the Alerts section of the DB Control
(or Grid Control) EM homepage, but you just can't use EM to email you
about these alerts so you have to check the view and/or EM homepage
regularly in order to see the alerts, or script something to check the
view and email you as I plan to do.

Regards,
Brandon

From: Allen, Brandon

That's my understanding too - mad indeed!

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield

My understanding was that the monitoring was free - and indeed that
custom metric collection is free as well, but that alerting required the
diagnostics pack for mad reasons that I do not understand.