RE: OEM justification -oem Poll

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <BSpears@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 14:30:02 -0400

Well, speaking as a thoroughly biased software vendor whose product is often
compared to certain pieces of Grid Control, I have spent a fair bit of time
looking at Grid Control and working with customers who use Grid Control, here's
my .02:

- Grid Control is good at what it is free for (basic monitoring).  Nice graphs,
useful pictures, good alerting, well done Oracle.
- For just about everything else, it varies wildly.

I've spoken to many customers who say that Oracle pushed Grid Control heavily
into their environment.  Among people who have tried to implement it,
experiences have ranged from "couldn't get it to work, oracle flew an engineer
from corporate in, they spent a month, they couldn't get it to work" to "worked
great out of the box".  It seems, again, simply from the people I've talked to,
that the diagnostic and tuning packs work pretty well.  The provisioning and
configuration management packs don't work at all (at least, never met anyone
who has successfully gotten them to work).  Even in the 10gR3 Grid control,
provisioning and patching have huge swaths of issues.

In general, I think the big test should be - can you set up grid control in
your lab, get it working, and get all of the packs you're going to spend money
on working?  Does it meet your needs?  Are you better off picking best of breed
technologies for different areas?

Again, I'm biased - we make a automation, provisioning, patching, and
configuration management product for database environments.  But none of this
is my opinion, its just based on what I've seen people doing in different
environments.

Matt

--
Matthew Zito