Re: ODA and HCC - current state

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 18:35:54 -0300

On 26/08/2012 4:17 PM, Kevin Closson wrote:
>> HCC is a distinct  optimization.
> Actually, HCC is merely "allowed" on ZFSSA (S7000) and Pillar. There is no
> HCC code executing in those storage processors unlike Exadata where
> decompression of HCC blocks (usually) does occur down in storage.
Poor wording on my part.  I meant that HCC is something to seriously
consider for a copy-on-write file system.  Anything that will reduce the
number of blocks should be a significant benefit.

Aside from that, I understand that HCC was actively 'not available' from
non-Exadata environments until recently.  No idea whether that was just
traditional licensing (on your honour not to use it), or it was active
in the code.

/Hans