Re: ODA 12.1.2 Databases on ACFS

  • From: "Job Miller" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "jobmiller@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 15:44:39 +0000 (UTC)

Mladen,
From the FAQ:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-appliance/oracle-database-appliance-faq-1903200.pdf
Oracle Database Appliance customers can purchase database and database option
licenses starting from a minimum of 2 processor cores, up to the Oracle
Database Appliance X5-2 system maximum of 72 processor cores.
Customers can start small, licensing only the processor cores they use and
purchase additional licenses as their business demand grows.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-appliance/documentation/oracle-database-appliance-ds-1867697.pdf
The whole setup from a hardware perspective has a list price of 60k.
The $60k gets you:

A 6U rack mountable system  containing two Oracle Linux servers and one storage
shelf.
Each server features two 18­ core Intel Xeon E5­2699 v3 processors, 256 GB of
memory, and 10 Gigabit Ethernet (10GbE) external networking connectivity.
 The two servers are connected together via a redundant InfiniBand interconnect
for cluster communication  and share direct ­attached high performance SAS
storage.

The appliance contains 64 TB of raw storage that’s double­mirrored or
triple­mirrored, offering 32 TB or 21.3 TB, respectively, of resilient usable
database storage. In addition, there are four 400 GB solid ­state drives for
frequently accessed data and four 200 GB solid­state drives  for database redo
logs to  boost performance. The appliance is also designed with misssion
­critical requirements in mind, with hot­swappable and redundant components.
If you only need to use a few cores for an HA Oracle DB, you can use the rest
of it with Oracle's VM to run your application workload as well.What you could
save in EE + RAC licensing alone makes the $60k hardware cost for a fully
configured DB appliance almost inconsequential.

Thanks,
Job