Re: ODA 12.1.2 Databases on ACFS

  • From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 22:20:22 -0500

Are they perhaps using "Database Flash Cache" for this purpose?

That is a feature that is available on all Oracle EE databases (since about
11.2.0.2, as I recall) regardless of whether you use Exadata.  Exadata, of
course, has its own special features for flash storage, too.

Database Flash Cache is used basically as a read-mostly extension of the
database buffer cache, so it can "transparently" manage the
staging/de-staging of data between tiers (because there really is none),
and covers nicely for the "fragility" of SSD storage.  If the SSD devices
suddenly stop functioning, the database can continue to operate without
them without dataloss (although you'll probably need to restart the
database).

Or maybe this is something entirely new.