RE: Num of Partitions with Subpartitions - quick newbie question

  • From: <Christopher.Taylor2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 10:49:50 -0600

Thanks Andy - much appreciated.
Chris

From: andyklock@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:andyklock@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Andy Klock
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2012 9:21 AM
To: Taylor Christopher - Nashville
Cc: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Num of Partitions with Subpartitions - quick newbie question

Depends on your version.  It used to be 64K (total partition/sub partitions)
but in versions 10g/11g it is 1024K (minus 1). So with 8000 you are only
getting started :)

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17118/statements_3001.htm#i2085640
On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 9:59 AM,
<Christopher.Taylor2@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Christopher.Taylor2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>
wrote:
We're experimenting with partitioning a table into many partitions with many
subpartitions because of the way we process by Organization IDs and Secure
Profiles - related to parallel application server processing.
Is there a MAXIMUM (or recommended value to keep under) for number of
partitions and/or subpartitions?

This table (if design works) would have approximately 8000 subpartitions and
1/4 of that in partitions I think.  (I don't have the numbers off the top of my
head)

Regards,

Chris Taylor
Oracle DBA