Nologging clause

  • From: William Wagman <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:07:43 -0700

Greetings,

I am running oracle 10.2.0.3 SE. We are in the process of implementing CAS
(Central Authentication Service). The request has been made to use an existing
production database to house the repository for the tickets. The database in
question is one which will be phased out so usage is declining and will
ultimately be used only for the CAS repository. Currently the database is in
archivelog mode. There is no need to be able to do a point in time recovery of
the CAS repository so I would like to turn off logging of those transactions to
keep the archive logs from growing and grabbing all available space (there is
enough space to hold the existing application, the CAS application but probably
not enough to hold all the redo which would be generated by the CAS tickets and
the existing application). I agree, it sounds strange. The tables holding the
CAS tickets are in a separate tablespace. If I alter that tablespace and set
nologging will that stop redo being generated against transactions in that
tablespace? As I understand the documentation setting nologging will prevent
redo generation for transactions in that tablespace. I don't have a setup in
which to test this. I hope I have stated my question clearly.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center