Re: Network Installation of Client Binaries

  • From: Harel Safra <harel.safra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark.Brady@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 20:36:52 +0200

 We're running about 600 PCs like that.
The oracle client is installed on a mapped network drive and the logon script applies the needed registry keys and environment variables.

BTW, I had no trouble installing oracle 10g client on a mapped network drive (oracle 10.2.0.1 + 10.2.0.4 patchset on windows XP).

Harel Safra

On 19/10/2010 20:24, Brady, Mark wrote:
All,
We're setting up our Windows 7 image and are looking to standardize our Oracle client (where we can i.e. no conflict with a COTS app). There's push back from some DBA's to install the client binaries to a network drive with just the registry entries and environment variables stored locally on each desktop. One roadblock to that plan is the Oracle Installer won't install to a network drive at all. This is forcing the desktop team to run an install using regmon and filemon to see what has changed in order to replicate those changes to a network drive location. Are there any other companies which use this pattern? To much success or failure? I'm particularly interested in largish firms of 5000+ employees, but everyone's experience will be valued. P.S. If you do a local install, have you made it part of the base package or is it distributed as a package?
TIA,
Cheers!
/Mark Brady/
/Enterprise and Data Architect/