Network Installation of Client Binaries

  • From: "Brady, Mark" <Mark.Brady@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 14:24:25 -0400

All,

We're setting up our Windows 7 image and are looking to standardize our Oracle
client (where we can i.e. no conflict with a COTS app). There's push back from
some DBA's to install the client binaries to a network drive with just the
registry entries and environment variables stored locally on each desktop.

One roadblock to that plan is the Oracle Installer won't install to a network
drive at all. This is forcing the desktop team to run an install using regmon
and filemon to see what has changed in order to replicate those changes to a
network drive location.

Are there any other companies which use this pattern? To much success or
failure? I'm particularly interested in largish firms of 5000+ employees, but
everyone's experience will be valued.

P.S. If you do a local install, have you made it part of the base package or is
it distributed as a package?

TIA,
Cheers!

Mark Brady