Re: NLS case insensitive in real life

  • From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:00:31 +0200

A few days ago I was in seminar by Richard Foote, so now I know a bit
about them :)
Actually these are quite interesting and promising features BUT the
limitations as of today are killing them.
You can use only one at once - either these linguistic indexes or good
old binary indexes. So in case you have already running DB with normal
indexes you have to either all time switch with alter sessions or
recreate all existing indexes. And if you need both of them in ONE
QUERY, then no way at all. Don't think that any of this scenario is
possible in something more than trivial DB or APP.

So they probably could be used for quite limited cases for existing
apps and DBs. Or if one builds a completely new app and db, then of
course one can use them for the very start.

See more here
http://richardfoote.wordpress.com/2008/01/09/introduction-to-linguistic-indexes-part-ii/

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu