Oracle internal flaws?

  • From: "Brady, Mark" <Mark.Brady@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:09:13 -0400

I saw this answer today on StackOverflow.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5307590/cpu-usage-of-oracle-installed-database-machine

Quote from PerformanceDBA, a notable Oracle basher.

"Oracle does not have a true server architecture (others have it). Rather than
performing classic server tasks, such as multi-threading, caching of data
pages, parallel processing (split a query across many devices) etc. within
itself, it uses the o/s to do all that. That means for each user process
(PL/SQL connection) there is one unix process; 1000 users means 1000 unix
processes, all competing for the same resources.
Especially noteworthy, because it uses file system files (not raw partitions),
and the "caching" is outside, it relies heavily on (and is very sensitive to)
the file system cache that you have set up. likewise, Oracle needs a massive
amount of memory for these processes."

I'm not enough of an internals guy to accurately refute these declarations. Can
anyone help me understand which of these statements are true and whether or not
they are deficiencies?